Friday, July 4, 2014

            This weekend we celebrate our independence as a nation. It is a great time to pause and think about all that has happened in years past to secure the many freedoms we enjoy as a country. It is also a great opportunity to make a commitment to do whatever we can to continue to make sure the freedoms we enjoy remain in place for all who follow after us! May these quotes, stories, sayings help you pause and pray for your country and praise God for the freedoms we enjoy!

The American Creed, by William Taylor Page, was adopted by an act of Congress, April 6, 1918.
            I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people,
for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.
            I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

William Arthur Ward wrote this among many of his inspirational writings.
            I believe in America. I believe it became great because of its' faith in God, its' hope for independence, and its' love for freedom. I am grateful for America's glorious past; I am awed by its' unbelievable present; I am confident of its' limitless future.
            I am not ashamed to take my hat off and to stand at attention when Old Glory passes by. I do not apologize for the lump in my throat when I repeat the Pledge of Allegiance. I am not embarrassed by the tears in my eyes when I hear "The Star Spangled Banner."
            Like millions of Americans, I want a free choice, not a free handout. I prefer an opportunity to prove my abilities on the job rather than a license to demonstrate my frustrations in the street. I am an old-fashioned American with a new-found determination to do my part to make democracy work.

Old Glory
             "Some people call me Old Glory, others call me the Star Spangled Banner or the Stars and Stripes, but whatever they call me, I am your flag. I remember some time ago people lined up both sides of the street to watch the parade and naturally I was leading every parade, proudly waving in the breeze. What happened? I'm still the same old flag, but now I don't feel as proud as I used to. When I come down your street you just stand there with your hands in your pockets. Then I see the children running around and shouting. Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore? Have you forgotten what I stand for and where I've been?"

No comments:

Post a Comment